Thursday 7 October 2010

I like it on the stairs ...

I got a message from a friend on Facebook a few days ago asking me to post something saucy in my status bar in aid of Breast Cancer awareness month:
Remember the game last year about what color bra you were wearing at the moment? The purpose was to increase awareness of October Breast Cancer Awareness month. It was a tremendous success and we had men wondering for days what was with the colors and it made it to the news. This year's game has to do with your handbag/purse, where we put our handbag the moment we get home for example "I like it on the couch", "I like it on the kitchen counter", "I like it on the dresser" well u get the idea. Just put your answer as your status with nothing more than that and cut n paste this message and forward to all your FB female friends to their inbox. The bra game made it to the news. Let's see how powerful we women really are!!!
It was reported in the Telegraph today, and I must agree with some commentators that it made more sense for breast cancer awareness when it was a statement about a bra, rather than your handbag. Someone moaned a bit about the fact that there was no concrete connection to advice or help, that it was beautifully attention-grabbing but a bit of a waste.

Got to agree there too, but the seed has been sown and perhaps someone like Cancer Research UK can play with something like it next year (or why wait until October? Look at what Breakthrough Breast Cancer are doing: they've just launched an iPhone app, iBreastCheck, to get women regularly checking their breasts!) Just using social networks in an engaging way has such enormous power to both spread the word and put information at people's fingertips - and not just any old information, the best and most reliable information. Hurrah for hyperlinks, I say!

I was a little peturbed, however, by the effect of the campaign on someone in my family. One of my cousins made the comment: "I like it anywhere". Whether he meant his bra or his handbag, I really cannot say.
Source: Flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment